February 1, 2009

A Fish For Life

When George Costanza's fellow marine biologists aren't removing Titleist golf balls from whale's blowholes, they've been preoccupied with discovering a species of hydrozoan or jellyfish-like aquatic organism they're dubbing "The Immortals"

Not to be confused with a 1950's doo-wop group or CGI-generated Xerxes horde battling the 300 Spartans, these "Immortals" are so named because they can live forever by virtue of the fact that they can reinvent themselves in younger and younger form only to die if they are eaten. Not unlike Joan Rivers.

This regeneration and ability to revert to its juvenile form occurs only after each completion of successful mating. Not unlike Hugh Hefner.

Scientists and doctors seeking anti-aging protocols, quite understandably, recognize The Immortals as a key to further their research into either slowing the aging process or preventing some of its more debilitating effects.

In those scientific circles, The Immortals are known as Turritopsis nutricula. I prefer "Benjamin Button-Fish".

4 comments:

  1. Hey Linda!
    My comment is not on this topic, just to say hi.
    I've been bemoaning your absence (as I surmise) on the Organic Garden forum, and then, searching for something, I came across a post of yours with the links to your blogs.
    Flash!
    I've enjoyed re-acquainting myself with your blogs and I will keep them handy.
    Hope you are well.
    Gardening plans in process yet?

    ellenr
    aka Jersey girl [or was that you?]
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, ellen, if only just to touch base. :)

    Sorry your comment wasn't 'published' immediately when you posted it, I had my settings set for "Moderation", which always delays publishing. I've subsequently changed my settings to publish comments immediately.

    Keep trying to fight the good fight on that forum. You're a much-needed voice & an asset.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Linda, but I gave up that 'fight' a long time ago.

    I am involved in a gardening project some of your local readers might be interested in participating in.
    In central Jersey, we are encouraging people to garden in their yards, we share our gardening knowledge, we educate ourselves about things like permaculture, raised beds, natural pest prevention, composting. Some of the members are working on getting an environmentally-sound gardening curriculum in a local school. And we will donate the 'fruits' of our labor to a local food bank.

    It is exciting. It is also exciting that as I talk to people from coast to coast, this sort of thing is happening in many places. It is the linkage of concepts like food security, sustainable living, gardening and the environment.

    Don't mean to use your blog as a 'soapbox', :)
    but I thot you'd be interested.

    best,
    ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellen,
    You're still "fighting the good fight"! Only now you've chosen a more receptive arena. :)

    Best of luck w/all your efforts to encourage other gardeners.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to be a blogger to comment. Or choose to sign as "Anonymous" or "Leave Your Name".